Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pumpkin Cake with Pecan Streusel

I think I've received more compliments for this than any other dessert I've made. I got the basic recipe from the Veganomicon cookbook, and only had to make a couple alterations to it - mainly the streusel topping. The amount of streusel the cookbook gave was far too small, and didn't seem like the right proportion/ingredients, either (called for only 1/4 cup flour, 3 Tbsp brown sugar, and 1 Tbsp canola oil!). I based my streusel on Betty Crocker's French apple pie topping - using way more of everything and earth balance instead of the oil, and a dash of roasted Saigon cinnamon. I know this is more of an Autumn treat, but old man Winter has been showing his face here in Spring again --or is it his rear end?? The pumpkin pie spices meld well with the extreme moisture of this cake, and the streusel adds a great roasted pecan flavor and crunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment