Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chick'n Cordon Bleu

This took days of preparation, and was a huge challenge. But totally worth it! Had to marinate bacon strips in a mix of agave syrup, oil, and spices for a couple days. Then yesterday I took two bags of thawed Gardein Chik'n Scallopini and mushed two cutlets together to form one big one - making four big Gardein slabs in total. Then I marinated them overnight in white wine with bay leaves, garlic, pepper, and thyme. The filling is Daiya mozzarella-style shreds. These were -super- hard to work with and roll up; in no way like real chicken! Even being very careful, they almost fell apart on me. But once I did, I rolled them in a mix of bread crumbs, flour, and spices, and gently fried them. I created a very strong Agave-Wasabi dipping sauce - my version of honey mustard - and only needed a little to accentuate the dish. It is honestly the best "honey mustard" I've ever had, and there will soon be a large jar of it in my fridge. To showcase the dish, I just wanted very simple sides - asparagus sauteed in earth balance and couscous made with a little "Not Chicken" broth. A great well-rounded dinner! It definitely takes the place of the occasional fancy restaurant meals I used to enjoy!

This is one I tried with the 'bacon' strips on the outside, but even with a skewer it didn't seem to hold together that well.


3 comments:

  1. This looks tasty. What are the proportions for the Agave Wasabi sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this "Cordon Bleu" your chef's specialty?

    I like the attention you paid to decorating your plait. The parallel lines of the asparagus are nice, as are the not-quite-accidental drips of broth. A visual feast in addition to a culinary feast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sockrocker~
    Sorry I missed this - I'm sometimes lazy about uploading photos, and get behind in posting, lol. I am actually bad about measuring things most of the time. I should learn to be more accountable for proportions, though - especially if I ever want to make a cookbook or something! I will try to recreate this tonight & post about that (& other experiments!) tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete