Monday, April 2, 2012

Vegan Königsberger Klopse



I love to experiment with new ingredients and spices in the kitchen, as well as push the limits of what original recipes I can convert to vegan. So far, I haven't found anything I can't do! This was definitely new and interesting, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. In fact, it got me on a kick for cooking with wine! The main source for new experimental & foreign recipes that I've been looking at is a 2012 calendar my French professor gave me, that is comprised of international recipes from the staff that produce the Vista Higher Learning books we use in class.

This is the recipe for Novembre, and is a famous traditional German recipe served with boiled potatoes as a side. Instead of making the meatballs by hand, I used my favorite prepackaged vegan ones by Nate's & fried them in oil with pepper & salt until crisp on the outside. The sauce is a basic roux I made with some leftover coconut milk in place of the cream, pinot grigio white wine, capers and caper juice, and parsley and lemon. I was not sure I'd like the capers in it, as I didn't really care for them by themselves, and thought of leaving them out - but I wanted to give the original recipe a chance. Indeed, the sauce tastes a bit funny on its own, but boy, was I bowled over when I tasted the complete dish! Absolutely fantastic ~ and led me to decide to prepare more of the German dishes from this calendar (and more wine dishes!).

No comments:

Post a Comment