Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Boeuf à la Bourguignonne




This is another of my new favorite dishes, because I've quickly fallen in love with wine in my cooking, as well as traditional French food in general! From what I understand, this began as a peasant plate (wine was needed to tenderize tough, cheap cuts of meat) and evolved into haute cuisine. This is a pretty simple version due to the beefless tips being too tender to cook for long in the wine, so they are sauteed separately with the onions and mushrooms. The red wine sauce is prepared with herbs and spices and some Not Beef broth and served over everything. Just about any red wine will do, but I am learning the nuances that come in the flavor and dryness of them - pinot noir is the most delicate, merlot is a nice medium-body, and cabernet is very dry and strong. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment