Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sprout Updates

The container garden I started indoors in March seems to be doing well adjusting to the outdoors. The herbs don't seem to be thriving like they should, but they're not dying or anything. I gave everything its first feeding of organic fertilizer so I'll see if they get more vivacious. Finally got the extra pumpkins/gourds/corn in the ground in a small "pumpkin patch" several days ago, with the help of my friend Leza. All that's left to plant is the purple asparagus & purple potatoes (what can I say, vibrant colors are healthy)!

And on a side note, my very own sprout, Scarlette, decided that she is a vegetarian! I guess it helps that I'm Vegan and her dad is Vegetarian. I didn't even really verbally encourage this; I think she has just picked up on my food choices and some of the things I've said. I won't go into graphic detail with her, of course (she's four), but I won't lie when she asks questions about diets and meat, etc. So she said she didn't want to kill animals, and "doesn't want to eat happy meals because it kills cows." She won't eat eggs now, but doesn't make the connection of them being in certain cookies and things, so I may buy a box of egg replacer for everyone that she stays with (her dad and my mom).

herbs - basil, purple basil, oregano

Merlan strawberries


I think this is bok choy, red flame lettuce, and gourds/specialty pumpkins in back



Tomatoes and...black seed lettuce? I have labels on the baskets but was too lazy to check for this.



My back porch, with my various pots of flowers and herbs, with the garden 'down yonder'



Soon-to-be pumpkin patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment