Saturday, June 25, 2011

Easy Indian Cuisine - Curried Dal and Aloo Palak

I love Indian food, but Curried Dal (lentils) and Aloo Palak (curried spinach and potatoes) are two of my favorite Indian dishes! They're fairly fast and simple to make, as well as delicious and nutritious! Lots of fiber and protein from the lentils, extra protein and carbs from the jasmine rice (whole grains, too if you use brown rice!), and antioxidants and iron from the spinach. Since vegans don't get too much saturated fat, I like to use regular CANS of coconut milk in the Dal curry sauce, but one could probably use lite coconut milk (these aren't to be confused with the cartons of coconut milk 'beverage'). I season the Dal with a wonderful green curry paste I found that has Thai ginger and lemongrass in it. I fry up the potatoes and onions with a little oil and water and use a mix of yellow (Hot Madras) curry powder, and a little red curry paste - adding the spinach right at the end so as to not overcook it. I try to make extra Jasmine rice - it's so tender AND it smells like buttery popcorn when you're cooking it!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment