Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day Good Luck Dinner



Foods can often be symbolic as well as sustaining to people, and in my family we always prepare a couple traditional New Year's Day foods that are supposed to bring good luck and wealth throughout the coming year. You eat the foods that are symbolic of what you'd like to receive: mixed greens represent green cash (I like to season with plenty of earth balance, mixed peppercorns, garlic, and red chili flakes), black-eyed peas represent coins (seasoned with earth balance, onion and garlic), and cornbread represents gold (made with smart balance vegetable oil, soy milk, egg replacer, and a dash of sugar). Usually, pork is consumed in some form because the pig represents progress - well, I certainly think that Gardein scallopinis are even more progressive! I lightly breaded and seasoned those with thyme, salt & peppercorns and fried in vegetable oil.

Sometimes my family would make a cake with a coin in it - if you got the slice with the coin, you'd have great luck that year! I made an almond version with orange glaze this year but I forgot to photograph it before everyone ate it all, looking for the coin!

No comments:

Post a Comment